At least six people were injured on Monday in a blast near Iqbal Market and New Memon Mosque in Karachi’s Kharadar area, according to government officials.

As per footage shown on DawnNewsTV, motorcycles and automobiles, including a police vehicle, suffered damage as people tried to put out fire.

City SP Ali Mardan Khoso said it was a “bomb blast”, according to initial reports. He said that a police mobile was damaged in the explosion and a police officer was injured as well.

Head of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto Trauma Centre at Dr Ruth Pfau Civil Hospital Karachi, Dr Sabir Memon, told Dawn.com that around 10 injured were brought at the medical facility. He said the condition of six of the injured was critical.

However, Karachi Administrator Murtaza Wahab said that as per information received by him, there were seven injured so far, with four in critical condition and three stable.

Sindh Information Minister Sharjeel Memon told DawnNewsTV it was an “unfortunate incident”, adding that police and Bomb Disposal Squad had reached the site of the blast.

Memon also cited hospital officials as saying that at least six people have been injured in the blast.

“God forbid, if it is a terror attack, the government is determined to take stern action and we will not let them [terrorists] go scot-free.”

The minister said no matter outfit the terrorists belong to, “we will take strong action against them.”

He said that Sindh Chief Minister had directed hospitals to provide the best possible treatment to all those injured in the blast.

When asked whether he had any information about a bomb planted in a motorbike as being reported by various sections of the media, the minister said he would not believe any information other than the one given to him through official channels.

Sindh Chief Secretary Dr Muhammad Sohail Rajput took notice of the incident and issued instructions for emergency to be declared at Dr Ruth Pfau Civil Hospital Karachi and Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah sought a report from Sindh Inspector General of Police Mushtaq Ahmed Mahar on the incident.

“The district administration should try that there’s no loss of life,” he said.

The blast tonight is the second one to terrorise Karachi within the span of a week. Last Thursday, one passerby was killed and at least nine injured when an improvised explosive device (IED) planted in a motorbike went off in Saddar.

This is a developing story that is being updated as the situation evolves. Initial reports in the media can sometimes be inaccurate. We will strive to ensure timeliness and accuracy by relying on credible sources such as concerned, qualified authorities and our staff reporters.

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here